Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Kyu Sakamoto Sings a Song

You may have already been exposed to this song, thanks to Bridger. Even if you have, it is worth another listen, and it is definitely worth seeing this man sing it while he walks around what I can only guess is Japan. If you haven't, then you are in for a real treat. This song is among my top 3 most charming songs.
I imagined the music video would be a Japanese man wearing a colorful suit, holding his hat, wandering around in a colorful world with bluebirds flying onto his shoulder. Turns out it is a Japanese guy walking around in black and white. Sounds fine to me.

Kyu Sakamoto - Ue wo muite arukou



Notice how smiley he is? This is odd because the English translation is:

I look up when I walk
So the tears won't fall
Remembering those happy spring days
But tonight I'm all alone
I look up when I walk
Counting the stars with tearful eyes
Remembering those happy summer days
But tonight I'm all alone
Happiness lies beyond the clouds
Happiness lies above the sky
I look up when I walk
So the tears won't fall
Though my heart is filled with sorrow
For tonight I'm all alone
(whistling)
Remembering those happy autumn days
But tonight I'm all alone
Sadness hides in the shadow of the stars
Sadness lurks in the shadow of the moon
I look up when I walk
So the tears won't fall
Though my heart is filled with sorrow
For tonight I'm all alone
(whistling)

Kyu has an excellent attitude for being such a sad fellow.

3 comments:

Bridger W. said...

We just spoke about this.

Sarah-Ashley said...

Yes this really is a nice song, and when Bridger told me what they lyrics were I almost started to cry. So sad, so nice.

Bridger W. said...

I mean, I just love this video.