Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Brush Up Your Shakespeare

I recently pretended to read The Tempest. One of the lines that I actually did read is a conversation where one man on the beach is trying to convince another guy on the beach to kill the king. He says:

"perform an act Whereof what's past is prologue"


I thought of a few things I've done in my life that made me feel like everything beforehand was prologue -

1. Getting the Opinion Editor job at the Chronicle: Somehow I have tricked journalism into paying for my education by conning the world into believing that I know something, anything about journalism. I have been pretending to be a journalist for six years, and no one is the wiser.

2. My Mission: When I left my family at the MTC I realized I had been anticipating that moment for my entire life. I also felt like I was going to puke all over everyone. Everything worked out great though.

3. Going to the U: I have honestly been scheming a plan to transfer from Dixie to the U for an awful long time. Everything is going according to plan.

4. Running Cross-Country at BHS - From the age of 5 my Dad planned my infiltration of Bingham High School, although we lived in Sandy. I even pretended to live in the basement of my legal guardians (who were not my parents during this time) for one whole year to make this happen. This really paid off during my decorated cross-country career.

Anyway, those are a few of mine, do you have any moments where you felt like "what's past is prologue"?


Also, here is a topic-themed musical video.

3 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Great post Craig. I especially liked your first example - conning everyone into believing you are a journalist. I feel the exact same way about being a writer.

My "what's past is prologue" event would maybe be going away to college. I felt like I was finally going to have the life I wanted. Because get this, when you move away from home, No one and I mean NO ONE tells you when to go to bed.

Bridger W. said...

I can't think of a single circumstance. Give me some time and space to think about it. What I'm saying is just back off already.

Melissa said...

I don't care if this is the only line you read in the whole play; you've just demonstrated yourself to be a fine student of Shakespeare, Craig.

I'll go ahead and list my mission as one of these events as well. For quite some time, all the events in my life were arranged mentally as occurring either "before" and "after" that experience.