Thursday, July 2, 2009

Here's to the ADA


I think that gum has really come a long way in the last little while. I'm a huge supporter of the new flat package most gum is starting to come in, especially when Extra finally made the switch. Now I can carry my gum in my pocket, which makes a lot of sense. I can finally stop carrying my mink purse.

One of the newer developments I have found on gum packages I support is the addition of the seal of the American Dental Assocation. I am a total sucker for this sort of advertising. The entire message next to the seal reads:




The ADA Council on Scientific Affairs' Acceptance of [insert gum brand] is based on its finding that the physical action of chewing [insert gum brand] sugar-free gum for 20 minutes after eating, stimulates saliva flow, which helps to prevent cavities by reducing plague acids and strengthening teeth.



I totally fall for stuff like this, and the first time I saw it on a package of Extra gum, it totally sealed the deal. However, today I was thinking the ADA should begin supporting quite a few other products, if all it takes is that I salivate for 20 minutes after eating in order to prevent cavities.

For example, I could salivate for 20 minutes by eating a corndog. I would love corndog packages to start appearing with this message:

The ADA Council on Scientific Affairs' Acceptance of this sack of Corndogs is based on its finding that the physical action of chewing on a Corndog for 20 minutes after eating, stimulates saliva flow, which helps to prevent cavities by reducing plague acids and strengthening teeth.

This is why, from now on, I think I'll spend the 20 minutes after each meal or snack chewing on a corndog. I have to keep my saliva flowing, and what better way than to chew on a corndog?



4 comments:

Melissa said...

I've come around to your way of thinking regarding the new Extra packaging. You had some persuasive arguments.

I love a good official-sounding health recommendation.

Cassidy said...

I am clearly going to take this advice and follow it. Following every meal with a corndog is my idea of a great time.

jaime said...

I'm gonna miss you carrying your mink purse around...it just went with so many outfits!

Craig Barlow B. said...

I know Jaime, it really complimented my mink pants, my mink jacket, my mink vest. Really it's a total loss.