Sunday, January 17, 2010

A Mostly Cultural Update

I feel like I've been a bit busy lately with some things that are at least a little interesting, so here are a few things that I've done:

1. I went to the Neon Trees show at the Velour in Provo on Friday night. The last time I went to one of their shows was in February, nearly a year ago when they played before Ben Kweller. And both times I have attended a Neon Trees show there has been a guy to my left who I'm certain is about to clutch the back of the lead singer's head and jam his tongue into his mouth.
It is very uncomfortable to stand next to the only superfan in the crowd. You can never be sure when he's about to wrap his armpit around your head, or slobber all over your clothes because he can't take time to swallow between words while he screams the lyrics back to the band. But despite the superfan I had to stand next to, I really had a good time. Here are some of the things I like about Neon Trees -

a. The lead singer, Tyler Glenn has a really excellent stage presence. He will stand right on the edge of the stage, he likes to kneel down and sing right in your face, he will graciously hold his pose right in front of your camera mid-song until you take a picture, he dances around the stage, and he is just generally good at getting the crowd to pay attention to him and feel involved in the show. I'm impressed.
b. The drummer, Elaine Doty, is really a great drummer. Plus, judging from one conversation I had with her one year ago, she seems like a nice gal. Plus, when she lived downtown she used to attent the church ward I currently attend about one year before I started going there. That is a major missed opportunity. We could have been great friends by now.
c. That leads me to my next point, they are from Provo, so even as they get bigger, they seem fairly interested in the Provo/SLC crowd.
d. I like their songs.

So there you have it. Here is the music video for their current single. I think it's a nice song. Give it a look.





2. Saturday was my mom's birthday. Last year we celebrated my mom's birthday by going to see Paul Blart: Mall Cop. We might as well have just stayed at home and punched each other in each other's faces. I wish more than anything that I had been punched in the face for two hours in the place of watching that movie.
This year we went and saw The Imaginarium of Dr. Parnassus. For those of you who don't know, this was the movie Heath Ledger was working on when he died. They had only finished one-third of the movie when it happened, forcing them to figure out how to finish the movie without him. At different points in the movie, Heath Ledger's character is played by Colin Farrell, Jude Law, and Johnny Depp. In addition to these four, the movie also had Christopher Plummer, Tom Waits (who does an awesome job playing the devil), and famous midget Verne Troyer--not to be mistaken for fellow midget Jason "wee-man" Acuna of Jackass fame, who reached cinematic heights by running around in buttless chaps, dryhumping all kinds of different things, and getting punched in the wiener by his funny friends.
Anyway, I think I really liked this movie. It's hard to tell, because at the end of it I wasn't completely sure what had happened. But it managed to be totally confusing in a way that made me want to go back and watch it again. The visuals are really great, and the story is pretty interesting if completely off the wall. I think it's worth seeing, but I wouldn't be surprised if you hated it. Here is a trailer:





3. Speaking of movies, I have a friend named John who, with his friend Cameron, hosts a 24-movie marathon once a year. This year's marathon concluded this morning at 7:00 a.m. I was at my mom's birthday party most of the day, but I did show up at the marathon at around 10:30 p.m. Even though I was subjected to two of the most uncomfortable/worst movies I've ever seen in my life, so bad that I shudder at mentioning them and their content, there was one movie that I really loved. It was called Amélie, and it's a French film. Obviously, we watched it with subtitles, because most of us, possibly all of us, did not speak French. Anyway, it's really funny, very clever, and I really loved it. Here is a trailer:




4. My car has started making weird noises. I have remedied this by listening to the music in my car too loud for me to hear the noises.


5. Jokingly, I suggested we should start an Anti-Biggest Loser contest at my work, and see who could gain the most weight. Somehow it has become a reality, and I'm trying to gain weight, although I can pretty much predict my eventual total failure in the competition.
Anyway, we weigh-in every Monday, and despite my greatest efforts to eat the least healthy, most fattening foods available to me, my metabolism refuses to yield.
Here is a Before and After picture of kind of how I'm hoping this goes for me:




And that's about it. I am now in the final semester of my undergrad, which is encouraging. Maybe next time I'll tell you a little bit about my classes, although I don't have any classes this semester quite as interesting/completely worthless as my magic class last semester.

7 comments:

Bridger W. said...

You're not fooling me, Craig. I know the two awful movies you won't mention were Debbie Does Dallas and an encore of Debbie Does Dallas.

Also, if you're drinking anything other than soda or juice during that weight gaining competition, you're not trying hard enough.

Sara Soda said...

Two things:
I love Amelie. Someday I am going to speak and understand French completely so that I can watch it without subtitles.
The last movie of Heath Ledger's makes me sad. :(

That's all.

The word verification for this post is "inese." Which made me think, "Chinese!"

Cassidy said...

You gotta tell us what those movies were. If you are too scared, just text it to me.

keviN said...

i watched Amélie not too long ago, without subtitles - going into it, i thought it was gonna suck, but it turned out to be pretty good! heh.

also diggin' the Neon Trees, always appreciate links to good music.

jaime said...

I have to admit I'm a little bit envious of you right now Craiggers. I wish I hadn't fallen asleep and missed the Neon Trees concert...that bums me out. I want to see the Heath Ledger movie. I want to be so skinny that I'm trying to gain weight. I want, I want, I want!! Hopefully this green monster that has popped up in my doesn't end our friendship.

Ps- Amelie was my favorite movie at the marathon as well. I liked it so much that I may have to buy it!!

20 Something said...

I hate that you have to try so hard to gain weight. I worked my butt off (literally) to loose 100 lb's. Serious envy for you.

Anywho, awesome post. Love the band, Neon Trees, Just listened to them .

Jonathan and Kiri said...

Haha the weight gaining competition seems awesome! If I were you I'd have movie theatre popcorn everyday. Maybe you can get the popcorn and rewatch Amelie over and over.. Just a thought. (Puet-etre)