Sunday, February 14, 2010

Love, Hate, and a Spectrum of Emotions!

A nice gal named Whitney Roberts suggested I fill this out recently. I'm a total sucker for "getting to know me" lists, so I'm going to go ahead and do it. Soon enough I'm going to start taking these lists to the next level by forcing my friends to listen to me read them aloud beginning to end:

"If you're really my friend, then you'll listen to me answer the following 100 totally random questions. Let's see...have I ever been in love? Hmmm...well... --- (20 minutes later) --- ...so no, I don't think so. Okay then, number two: kissing or hugging? Hmmm... --- (20 minutes later) --- well hugging is nice, but so is kissing. It's a real tough decision, you see? -- (20 minutes later) -- ...so kissing, naturally." BANG, BANG. "I've been shot!"
The Task:
Fill in twelve likes, one love and eight hates.


- I like being unemployed as long as I have some money.
- I like sleeping on my stomach, even though that means I have to mash my face into my pillow in a state of near suffocation all night.
- I like hanging out with my 9 year old sister. This week her and I went to the ballet and saw Swan Lake. It was a good time.
- I like to make tacos. I make some pretty awesome tacos.
- I like to memorize rap songs and surprise people who don't expect me to know the lyrics. Especially Ludacris songs.
- I like to be extremely competetive in party games. There was a period of my life where I would go to Provo for parties thrown by my friend Scott. At these parties I would keep my socializing to a minimum, consequently meeting zero new people, but compete tenaciously in the Limbo. After a while, I'm sure all the return visitors were shocked and irritated by my constant appearances, "Oh, it's that guy who comes to win the Limbo again. I hate that guy. Who invites him?" One of these parties degenerated into me dancing around with a piƱata panda head over my face.
- I like to occasionally watch 3 or 4 movies in a row in the middle of the night all by myself. Granted, I haven't often tried watching 3 or 4 movies in a row in the middle of the night with someone else. I'm sure I'd enjoy that too.
- I like to think about what songs and shots I would use if I was making a movie montage about whatever I'm doing at any given moment.
- I like going on long road trips with people who have good attitudes.
- I like going to Denny's in the middle of the night and getting their bottomless hot chocolate.
- I like taking jokes way too far, and way past the acceptable time period.
- When I meet someone I don't expect to meet again, I like to tell them inconsequential things about myself that are completely untrue. Like, "I'm Catholic" or "I'm from Rancho Cucamonga."


- I love being loyal to brands, activities, and television shows. When I buy groceries, I love to support the same brands of groceries. When I find a television show I like, I love to love that show no matter what kind of abuse it inflicts upon itself. I am loyal to things long after everyone else in the world has decided they are stupid. I think that's a really good attribute.


- I hate it when drivers decide to be extra courteous and wave you across the road when you are waiting to J-walk. Just follow the law you ridiculous people! I'll make it.
- I hate when Rick Sanchez on CNN introduces every commercial break with a cliff hanger after telling me 98 percent of the details. "Who do you think has been embezzling money from the tax payers? Tax payers like you, and me. Even worse, who do you think could have had the nerve to use that money to sell cocaine to school children? I'll tell you, after the break." Thanks a bunch RICK! All I can think of when I watch his segment is a flurry of dismembered arms punching him in the face.
- I hate it when I go to a party that slowly, and accidentally morphs into a dance party. I love myself a good dance party, when I go there with the intent to dance. But if you are trying to turn my perfectly normal chatting party into a dance party, then you and I are enemies.
- I hate asking people to write me letters of recommendation.
- I hate it when church hymns are played way below tempo.
- I hate it when the lady that lives next door goes outside and yells in her screachy high-pitched, 12 year old boy voice: "Here kittykittykittykittykittykittykittykitty...YODA! Here kittykittykittykittykittykittykittykittykittykittykittykittykittykitty...YODA!!"
- I hate how they never find the Monster on MonsterQuest. It's always like, "We set up some sensors in the forest! And a camera! We watched for 5 days! But we didn't see anything! But we found a track! And it looked abnormal! But it turned out to be a fox! But the fox was deformed! Kind of like the legendary monster! But it turns out the fox wasn't a fox! The fox was actually a big rat! Which completely explains it's abnormalities! But eye witnesses still swear there is a monster!" - I wish, that just once, they could be like, "We went looking for this monster, and check it out, we totally found it!"
- I hate looking for parking places when I'm in a hurry.
- I hate getting shots. My exterior looks brave. But on the inside, I'm very nervous.

17 comments:

Jacob said...

"I like to think about what songs and shots I would use if I was making a movie montage about whatever I'm doing at any given moment."

+1, I also do this.

Stephanie said...

Usually I see these get to know you posts and I lazily scan/scroll through them without really reading them. Not the case today. I was laughing right out loud on a couple of your answers. It made me think "Why don't I hang out with him?" I have a few games I would love to play. Maybe we could have a game night. I have one friend to bring.. well actually he is a boyfriend but he likes games too. What do you say?

Also- how did your 3 weddings and falling in love go?

Oh- and have you ever watched Jersey Shore?

jaime said...

I first met you through a game night, and it's true what you said. I was always questioning "who is this kid on crack and who keeps inviting him?!?"

Now I'm glad of it cause I love ya :-)

Jonathan and Kiri said...

Sad, just one "love"? Who made this up? There should be plenty more loves! By the way, if I see you waiting to J-walk..I promise I won't stop for you. Even if you stepped out too early and it looks like my car may make contact. I would hate to annoy you!

Craig Barlow B. said...

Jake - You have no idea how glad I was that I'm not unique in doing that. Maybe it's a Barlow thing.

Steph - Absolutely. I'm a game night enthusiast. You just let me know. My weddings went great, although the romantic comedy didn't actually happen. I don't know what went wrong. Although, I'm sure whatever happened to the girl I was supposed to meet will just make it even more charmingly unlikely when we do meet. And no, I've never seen Jersey Shore. Why?

Jaime - I'm really sorry. I don't think you were alone. I'm almost positive April wanted to literally kill me for a few weeks.

Kiri - I'm not sure, but I'm getting the impression that you might actually want to run me over. I'll keep my eyes open.

The Boob Nazi said...

I loved this post. I feel like I know you well already, and I've only read one post.... I think it was the memorizing Ludacris songs. Want to get together and rap "What's Your Fantasy"?? haha that sounds so creepy.

The Boob Nazi said...

Also, um, I read that you work on the Utah Chronicle.... And I think you interviewed me for a job there. Seriously. Random.

The Boob Nazi said...

AT not ON.

Craig Barlow B. said...

Really? That is unbelievable. Here is my two pronged business vs. casual reply:

1. Thank you. I work really hard to live up to any Ludacris impromptu rapping demand. So I don't think you'll be disappointed if rapping does end up happening between the two of us.

2. Are you sure it was me who interviewed you? Because as I looked at your picture, it isn't ringing an immediate bell. I promise I try my best to remember anyone. I just recently filled my staff, but hiring is always so crazy at the paper. You should contact me again some time if you are still interested. Positions open fairly often.

The Boob Nazi said...

I would say "I challenge you to a Ludacris rapping contest" if I knew you better.
Also, it was back in August 2008. Is your email craigblake (at) gmail (dot) com? (I have that in my gmail thing still.)If not, it's not you... Your picture doesn't ring any bells for me either, but your name does!

Craig Barlow B. said...

That is most definitely me. That was when I had just gotten the job and was still a bit terrified out of my mind. I apologize if I failed to hire you. I'm sure I made a terrible mistake. And hopefully you can try to forgive me.

The Boob Nazi said...

Yeah, you didn't hire me. I was traumatized and said mean things about you for YEARS.... haha no. But how random is this?

(BTW, gmail added your name to my gchat list, and it always made me SO UNCOMFORTABLE. I'm glad I can tell you this now.)

I think I'll have a harder time forgiving you for the fact that you read MBP than forgiving you for not hiring me.

Craig Barlow B. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The Boob Nazi said...

They think I'm crazy obsessed with them, so I'd say they and I have a tumultuous relationship that I wish didn't exist.

Rebekah said...

I was going to leave a funny comment but instead I got distracted by the conversation between you and the Boob Nazi and I have forgotten all about your post and what comment I was going to make.

Bridger W. said...

I loved this whole thing, but like Rebekah, I've been thrown off by the Boob Nazi. All I can think of are millions of poor, starving breasts dying in gas chambers.

Nicole said...

I can say that I have heard you rap Ludacris and I was very much impressed with your rapping skills and the amount of lyrics you knew. It was fun, you should send Luda a tape of you singing. He'd be a fool not to want to rap with you.