Monday, May 24, 2010

Three 80's Music Video Honorable Mentions

The other day I was watching VH1's top 100 Greatest One Hit Wonders of the 80's. For as terrible as MTV can usually be, it sure knows how to win me over. Every time MTV's ratings begin to drop they re-air this program because they know I'll watch it again.

MTV Peon: No one is watching our channel anymore.
MTV Executive: Quick, re-air the Greatest One Hit Wonders of the 80's!
MTV Peon: Yes sir...rolling. Oh, it looks like we now have one viewer.
MTV Executive: Thank goodness. We'll stay on the air for at least four more hours.

This time I only caught the top 18, but I have slowly been patching together each portion of this program over the last year. They always show portions of the music videos, and there are a few great ones. Here are a few I'd like to give a special honorable mention.

1. Ah Ha - Take On Me

This video is absolute genius. It has danger, it has a love story, it has compelling characters, it has dated special effects, and it doesn't make me hope my brain is about to hemmorhage--and that makes it superior to all three newer Star Wars movies. In 3:35, Ah Ha managed to show me a story that was worth my time for every second. Over the course of 6 years, George Lucas made three two-hour films that not only weren't worth my time, there wasn't even one person singing in any of them throughout the entire film. Had Ah Ha directed and written the new Star Wars movies you can bet they would have delivered exactly what everyone had hoped for--three entire movies shot it rotoscope. The major downfall of most movies today is that they don't look like I'm reading a comic book incredibly quickly. That's what people want to see. This song came in on VH1's list at No. 3. Here is the music video:



2. Men Without Hats - The Safety Dance

I like to imagine this video depicts the celebration that takes place immediately after Lord of the Rings: Return of the King ends, and that the lead singer is Frodo, the woman is Giladriel, and the midget is another new Hobbit who wasn't in the movie.. This is pretty much how I imagine Middle-Earth is likely to react after the fall of Sauron. Yes, that does mean I have now referenced both Star Wars and Lord of the Rings in this one post. This is part of my campaign to give some people reasons to not want to know me. This song was on the list at No. 17. Here you are:



3. Devo - Whip It

This song features everything I care about: a cross-eyed woman wielding a gun, silent movie-style subtitles that read "Ride 'em cowboy!", and a woman literally being safely and gently whipped into her underwear. I care about those things. Even the fairly nonsensicle plot contained in this video is by far superior to the script of Paul Blart: Mall Cop. Not a single one of the three subtitled lines written for this music video makes my head implode. I guess it's pretty clear which film is the best. This song came in on VH1's list at No. 15. Here it is:



Anyway, those were the three music videos that I thought deserved honorable mentions. If you would like to vote on the poll on which music video deserves your honorable mention, please look on the right side of the pane until you find it. If you're thinking about not voting, remember, you miss 100 percent of the shots you don't take.

6 comments:

Bridger W. said...

My vote by far is for Devo. Great, great guys.

登山 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
jaime said...

1. I'm confused at whether you were watching VH1 or MTC...I think VH1 has the better programs for blast from the past videos.

2. Ah Ha should have been number 1! That video was genius! I can't tell you how many times I would lie awake at night just thinking about that video and all it's gloriousness.

3. I have actually made up a dance to Men Without Hat's, safety dance (it's soooooo fun!) and I know for a fact that Merry & Pippin would have loved to do this jig at Sauron's defeat.

joN. said...

the men without hats and devo videos are their own type of fun, but the a-ha video is absolutely seriously dreamy.

lots of people don't remember (or most likely weren't born yet), but the follow up to this video shows our hero once more reverting to cartoon form and the couple is torn apart. drama. love it.

Craig Barlow B. said...

Jon, what song is the follow up? How can I see this video?

jaime said...

Haha! I just realized I wrote MTC instead of MTV. Can you tell I was at work when I wrote the comment? :-)

Also, I too would like to see the follow up video.