Sunday, November 21, 2010

Thanksgiving Thankfulness

Tomorrow I'm flying to Utah for Thanksgiving. I thought I was going to be excited about this, but as it turns out I'm actually INSANELY EXCITED. I am really looking forward to it. (For you Salt Lake City residents, I'm sorry to say I'll be in St. George. Looks like you'll have to wait until Christmas to seduce me.)

Since I'll be leaving Denver for a week, I want to ensure the city and the people here don't forget everything they love about Craig:

- His powerful thighs.
- His high cheek bones
- His tendency to engage in fisticuffs.
- He's a patriot and a champion.
- Lifting weights.
- U.S.A.

To help the people of Denver remember me, here is something I recorded on my computer the other day, originally made popular by the Shirelles:

Craig Blake - Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow


The crowd is fickle.

Anyway, in the spirit of Thanksgiving, I'm going to share a very condensed list of things I'm thankful for. Some of them will be so touching that you will feel totally touched. However, I'm going to severely limit these touching moments. I can't go around touching everyone all the time. What more do you want from me?


1. Tacos Don Rafa: This is a taco stand back home that I learn to appreciate more and more each time I leave Salt Lake City for an extended period of time. It's located on 800 South and State Street, facing east in the Sears parking lot, just in case you ever have a chance to visit. A good carnita taco is rare, just like The Last Unicorn. When I do get back to Salt Lake City, I'm going to get myself a good taco. When I go here, I know I won't have to eat a sweaty meat-cube taco. And that is worth my thanks.

"Look and see her, how she sparkles. It's the last unicorn! I'm aliiiiiiiiive. I'm aliiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiive."
- The Last Unicorn

2. Finishing My Lawerying Process Memo: Today I finished my LP memo, and it made me sort of feel like I'm on a short vacation. Somehow, through my sometimes powerful tendency to procrastinate, I always manage to eventually force myself to finish important things. For the first time in a few months I don't feel like there is something really important that I must do right now. That is an excellent feeling. This way I don't have to spend any time brainstorming reasons why that thing isn't really THAT important.

3. Denver Law School Folk: I have truly met some excellent humans at DU. I wasn't distraught, but I wasn't necessarily ecstatic to get up and move to Colorado. I was happy for the opportunity, but it's always a bummer to leave home. The swell law students I have met have made it worth my while. If you live in Denver, go to law school, and are reading this, I'm probably talking about you specifically. Congratulations! Sure, why wouldn't I be?

4. Home Friends: Likewise, my friends from home are excellent people. The day before I left town, one group of friends got together and had a big dinner for me. Also, they passed around a card and stuffed it with money. One friend even gave me some art she painted. Another group threw me a surprise/not-so-surprise dinner. What grade-A citizens. I may have been the one awarded the Boy Scouts of America Citizenship in the Community merit badge at the age of 13, but you guys are the ones who really deserve it. (In this note I will also include my excellent family because I feel I'm going to exceed my touching limit.)

5. Chairs: Some of you might know that I spent somewhere between 3 and 4 weeks at my new apartment sleeping on a camping cot and sitting on my upside-down garbage can because I didn't have any furniture. I got used to the cot, but sitting on an upturned garbage can is not remotely comfortable. If chairs hadn't been invented, we would probably all be sitting on upside-down garbage cans today, and we'd all be totally pissed about it. Believe me.

6. Kittens: Aren't they adorable?


11 comments:

Elizabeth said...

That song is 100-percent wonderful Craig. It is so, so good.

jaime said...

Once Scott see's all those cute little kitties he's gonna be jello in your hands! Was that your plot?? Are you trying to steal my boyfriend over Thanksgiving?!? Which speaking of Fatsgiving, I'm super excited I will be in SG over the holiday and get to see you! Even if it's just for a little bit. I want to throw it in everyone's face here in SLC that I got Craigger time and they didn't! :-)

Ps-I'm glad you mentioned The Last Unicorn in conjunction with a taco stand. Afterall they like to eat taco's in the movie too.

Melissa said...

I saw The Last Unicorn when it first hit the theaters, and I could not stop crying.

The Shirelles cover was a wonderful idea.

Rebekah said...

Your posts always make me laugh. But this one with the kitten pictures and the one rodent - man that just killed me! I couldn't breathe because I was laughing so hard!

Nicole Williams said...

I also was laughing really hard with the kitten pictures. Also your rendition of Will you still love me tomorrow almost brought me to tears. Why do you always do that to me Craig??

banannalise said...

Hi. Nicole led me here.
You are so funny - seriously!
Love the tunes as well.

Sara Soda said...

I <3 kittens.

joseph michael said...

that taco stand is ridiculously delicious...BUT...I hate to say that I have found one better. So good in fact, I hired him to move his stand from its current location and set it up in my front yard. He did. Tacos were eaten and love was shared. Unfortunately the party ended and after a few hours he was gone the same way he came...by van.

joseph michael said...

Oh, and the song is great man. I just love this blog and all your creativity.

Bridger W. said...

That cover is SO GREAT CRAIG. Excellent, excellent job.

Andrea Jolene said...

There's something up with one of those kitties. I can't put my finger on... oh wait! #2 would never eat acorns! They're like... the size of its head! Oh Craig... you jokster!